Our College of Ceramic Technology was established in 1941 by Professor Sasadhar Ray who was an eminent and educationist and the first Principal of the college. At that time the college was named as Bengal Ceramic Institute Calcutta, which later on flowered into College of Ceramic Technology. Professor Ray was one of the pioneers in spreading ceramic education in India. He obtained his M.Sc. degree in Physics in 1930, as a student of Prof. Satyendranath Bose, from the University of Dacca having been place first in Class. He was a research scholar under Prof. K. S. Krishnan-F. R.S. in the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science and served as a supervisor in Peripatetic Demonstration for Scheme of the Govt. of Bengal to popularize the ceramic manufacturing processes in the villages. He also worked for a brief period in the Industrial Research Laboratory, Dept. of Industries, Government of West Bengal.
The college started with certificate and diploma courses in Ceramic Technology with six other different courses to train people for various ceramic industries in the eastern and other regions of India. Prof. Roy organized a commercial Training- cum- Production unit at the institute to provide employment through practical training to the students. He formulated many developmental schemes with their successful implementation and introduced the concept of self- employment in the institute to cope with the problem of growing unemployment in the country. He was the pioneer in India to manufacture bone chinawares using indigenous raw materials on commercial basis and glazed pottery, sanitary wares, tiles and low-tension insulators from Gangetic silt. His contribution to ceramic education and industry has gone for and near within India and round the globe.
In the year 1962, B. Sc (Tech.) degree course in Ceramic Technology under the University of Calcutta was introduced in the institute, which was then renamed as College of Ceramic Technology and was undertaken by the Govt. of West Bengal. At that time more emphasis was given on Traditional Ceramics. Traditional consists of pottery including materials, cement, etc. and traditional glasses for windows and containers/bottles including crystal glasses and of course the infamous optical glasses for our eyes and cameras.
Then came Dr. B. N. Samaddar as the Principal of the College, who was trained in MIT, USA. He brought a sophisticated touch of modern ceramics like Nuclear Ceramics, Space Ceramics, Electronic and Magnetic Ceramics, Bio-Ceramics, Piezoelectrics and Ferroelectrics by continuous enriching the courses with a strong emphasis on Materials Science.
This college has seen the addition of two new B.Tech courses in Information Technology and Computer Science & Engineering which was initiated under the West Bengal University of Technology in the year 2000 and 2001 as well as the M.Tech course in Ceramic Technology which was introduced in the year 2006. The B.Tech and M.Tech courses of Ceramic Technology and the B.Tech course in Information Technology has already been accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA). The institute has also recently gained approval from AICTE to begin the M. Tech. course in Information Technology.